- This event has passed.
Members Exclusive: Fishing for Science – Mildura – VIC
July 30, 2023 @ 7:00 am - 6:00 pm AEST
Are you an OzFish member? Are you interested in taking action and improve fishing outcomes?
Community science is a rapidly expanding field where millions of participants each year gather data on hundreds of topics ranging from the weather to water quality, threatened and endangered species, and such far off topics as water bugs and environment DNA.
And now OzFish have expanded the opportunity for you to collect valuable data while doing the sport we all love, fishing. OzFish Unlimited volunteers will be undertaking recreational fishing within set fishing boundaries from set times, and you will be capturing data from each aquatic species.
For your efforts, OzFish will assist with fuel costs and provide catering after the event has finished.
The largest aquatic species caught will also win a prize.
Please register by emailing or contacting the Senior Program Manager – Murray Darling Basin – Braeden Lampard on M: 0432 656 835 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 20 OzFish Unlimited volunteers undertaking recreational fishing within the fishing boundaries from 7:00am to 6:00pm
- Location – Murray River between lock 10 and 11
- Recreational fishers to fish with bait and or artificial bait (lures)
- Each native aquatic species caught to be scanned with a Handheld PIT reader, measured on a large measuring device and photo taken for later health check
- Details of each aquatic species to be written down on data sheet provided by OzFish Unlimited
Measuring of fish
- Wet the brag mat (or surface) before you measure the aquatic species
- Lay the aquatic species with the nose in line with the “0” measurement on the brag mat
- Photograph the aquatic species so the entire length can be seen in the photograph
- Please check the photograph and make sure all numbers are visible so the length of the fish can be determined (the sunlight can sometimes play cruel tricks on you)
- All aquatic species caught must comply with current Fisheries regulations
- All aquatic species must be caught between allocated times and allocated boundaries
- All participants must hold a current fishing licence
- During the event we promote the safe use of the river, so please abide by the current inland fishing regulations
- You must hold a current OzFish Unlimited membership
This project has been funded by the NSW Recreational Fishing Trust, the Australian Government through the CRC Program and BCF – Boating, Camping, Fishing.