- This event has passed.
2023 Wellington Family Fishing Day – NSW
August 27, 2023 @ 9:00 am - 2:20 pm AEST
Snag a carp and help native fish thrive in the Wambuul-Macquarie River at Wellington.
Wellington OzFish and the Dubbo River Repair Bus will be running a free family fishing day from Falls Road downstream to John Oxley Park. The event is a catch-and-release fishing comp and carp cull to educate the community on catch and release best practices for sustainable fishing.
$2000 worth of prizes will be given away in the form of fishing materials. Everyone is welcome to attend and food will be provided. Come along and join us at this free event!
Registration: 9.00am to 10.00am
Fishing times: 9:00am to 2:00pm
Presentation: 2:00pm to 2:20pm
Location: John Oxley Park, Wellington
- All fish caught must comply with current Fisheries regulations
- All fish caught must be caught between allocated times and allocated boundaries
- Any competitor suspected of illegal fishing methods will be reported directly to Fisheries
- During the event we promote the safe use of the river, so please abide by the current inland fishing regulations
- It is the responsibility of entrants to be aware of all NSW inland fishing regulations
- All committee decisions are final
- While no prizes will be awarded for largest or most carp captured, we are interested in the total number captured by each participant for our record keeping. Prizes will be awarded among all registered participants by random draw
- All participants must have a current NSW fishing license
- All carp are to be captured by hook and line only and euthanised humanely
- All carp may be dispatched quickly and removed from the water, as per NSW Fisheries regulations
- Volunteers/staff will be patrolling the area to collect and dispose of carp carcasses
- Unnecessary animal cruelty will result in immediate disqualification from the competition
Registration is essential. We hope to see you there.
This project is funded by the Australian Government through the CRC Program and OzFish-Landcare NSW partnership with funding support from the NSW Recreational Fishing Trusts. The project is also supported by BCF – Boating, Camping, Fishing and the local recreational angling community.